Here goes the Abstract.
Since March 2010, Dr. Ekram Hossain
is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from University of Victoria, Canada, in 2001. He was a University of Victoria Fellow and also a recipient of the British Columbia Advanced Systems Institute (ASI) graduate student award. Professor Hossain is an author/editor of the books Wireless Device-to-Device Communications and Networks (Cambridge University Press, 2015), Radio Resource Management in Multi-Tier Cellular Wireless Networks (Wiley, 2013), Smart Grid Communications and Networking (Cambridge University Press, 2012), Green Radio Communication Networks (Cambridge University Press, 2012), Cooperative Cellular Wireless Networks (Cambridge University Press, 2011), Dynamic Spectrum Access and Management in Cognitive Wireless Networks (Cambridge University Press, 2009), Heterogeneous Wireless Access Networks (Springer, 2008), Cognitive Wireless Communication Networks (Springer, 2007), Wireless Mesh Networks: Architectures and Protocols (Springer, 2007), and Introduction to Network Simulator NS2 (Springer, 2007). Currently Dr. Hossain serves as an Editor for the IEEE Wireless Communications. Previously, Dr. Hossain served as the Editor-in-Chief for the IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials from 2012-2016, the Area Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (in the area of "Resource Management and Multiple Access") from 2009-2011 and an Editor for the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications - Cognitive Radio Series (from 2011-2014), and IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (from 2007-2012). He was a Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Communications Society (for two terms during 2012-2015). Dr. Hossain is a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the province of Manitoba, Canada. He was elevated to an IEEE Fellow (class of 2015) "for contributions to spectrum management and resource allocation in cognitive and cellular radio networks". In 2016, he was elected as a Member of the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists of the Royal Society of Canada. He is an elected Member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Communications Society (2018-2020). He serves as the Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Press (2018-).
Prof. Hossain received the "2017 IEEE TCGCC (Technical Committee on Green Communications and Networking) Distinguished Technical Achievement Recognition Award" with the following citation: "for outstanding technical leadership and achievement in green wireless communications and networking". Also, he is listed as a Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science in 2017 and 2018.
leads the Wireless Communications, Networks, and Services (WiCoNS) research group
at the University of Manitoba. Here is his Profile in Google Scholar
. His current research interest includes the following:
- 5G and beyond 5G (B5G) cellular networks (spectrum/resource management, coexistence, distributed wireless access, scheduling, power control, network selection, fronthauling/backhauling, cloud-RAN, massive MIMO, cell-free large MIMO, mobility/handoff management)
- Machine learning/deep reinforcement learning and its applications to 5G and B5G networks
- Non-orthogonal multiple access (NOMA)
- Resource management in multi-tier and drone-assisted cellular wireless networks
- Economic and game-theory models for wireless/mobile communications networks
- Wireless network virtualization
- Software-defined wireless and mobile networking
- Green radio and energy-harvesting communications
- Mobile cloud and edge computing
- Cyber physical systems (smart power grid and energy Internet, vehicular networks)